16 Comments

1. Fr David

Stunning, and an intriguing process.

2. Christopher Mihaly

Absolutely stunning work as usual! I really enjoyed how you included all the aspects that the college required while still maintaining the necessary hagiography. Natalia and yourself are both truly talented. Is the font you designed available anywhere?

1. As a computer font? No. Maybe someone with that skill would like to make it so. I always draw inscription lettering by hand.

1. Nun Katherine Weston

Are all the letters available as a hand-drawn alphabet if another iconographer wishes to adapt something similar. For example, how would you write the J, Q, or Y?

1. I haven’t drawn out an entire alphabet, but you can see some additional letters in the inscriptions Natasha painted on these two icons, which we worked on at the same time as St. Katherine:

3. Rdr James Morgan, Olympia WA

Masterful job, Andrew and Natalia! I hope and pray that some of the students revere this icon and turn to Orthodoxy!

4. Sr. Jeana Visel, OSB

Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

5. This is wonderful information and a stunning icon of St. Katherine. Beautifully conceived as to detail. Thanks so much for sharing this. Glory to God in His Saints!

6. Dorothy S Allen

I thought it was both masterful iconography and appropriate for the purpose and setting.

7. Seb Sanyal

Wonderfully vibrant. Deeply reverential.
    It will draw and edify many, to be sure.

8. John Wheeler

Profoundly beautiful icon and backstory. To donate, I must use a check from my Discretionary Fund…Address???

9. Catherine

A magnificent hagiography of a beautiful saint. The work and detail is impeccable. Glory to God for your talents. I am sure that the architect would have approved of having such a beautiful icon placed in his Gothic design.
    I pray that we will be able to have prints made for purchase.

10. John

Too much gold for my taste . I think it tends to dominate an otherwise really lovely ikon.
    Thanks for sharing context and process.

11. Miles

Beautiful. Wonderful job incorporating all of the requests of the clients as well. Question: is this painted in egg tempera or acrylic? The photos make it look like it was painted in acrylic.

1. Natasha painted it using Master Class brand PVA tempera, which is made in St. Petersburg. This is chemically similar to acrylic paint, but formulated to behave more like egg tempera.

12. Bess Chakravarty

Thank you for this article explaining your composition process. The research into appropriate figures and the background make this such a clear image of St. Katherine. It is truly a venerable icon. Congratulations to both of you.